Saturday, April 04, 2015

The Eyes Have It

Not glaucoma as I had worried for a couple of years without doing anything about other than taking ginkgo biloba. At least seemingly not.  Intraocular pressure in the "high normal" range and no apparent damage, but I'm going back in four months for a re-test to make sure that the pressure results weren't running temporarily low or something.

Nor is there any sign of the other problem I was worried about: Diabetic retinopathy.

What I do have is an additional risk factor (beyond family history) for glaucoma: Pigment dispersion syndrome.

Oh, and I also have a freckle in one eye. Yes, a freckle. Which, like any other freckle, entails some small risk of becoming a melanoma. But this one shows no signs of doing so.

So it's all good. Or at least as good as I could reasonably expect.

Got my new eyeglass prescription.

I could go with bifocals, but I don't have to and I'm not going to (my near vision happens to be exactly perfect for reading and/or staring at a computer screen, which is what I do most of the time, and which I just take the damn glasses off to do).

I ordered my first pair of glasses for the new prescription last night. I've been hearing about these inexpensive online places and decided to give one -- Eye Buy Direct -- a try. Since I went with a pair of frames that are on clearance, and since I didn't purchase any of the extras (scratch protection, etc.), the total cost came to $11.95. Yep -- that does include shipping.

Once the new glasses arrive, you can probably expect a review. If the bare basics pair works out, I'll probably order some more expensive ones. But from the look of it, it would be hard to pay more than $50 or so for a pair of glasses there unless you wanted "progressive" lenses. Even regular bifocals are only $19.95 above frame cost, and most of the frames seem to run $30 or less.

No comments: