Thursday, March 03, 2011

The pilgrimage has gained momentum

R.E.M.'s new album, Collapse Into Now, drops on March 8th, and until then you can stream it via That Thar Evil State Media.

I've only given it one run-through so far, but guys, I think they're back, even still sans the much-missed Bill Berry.

In theory they never went away, but frankly I haven't really been excited about an R.E.M. album since Monster. That tour was the first and only time I've seen them live (although I discovered them around the time of The Reckoning and have been a fan since). A pair of "lawn seat" tickets and $100 got me and my date 13th-row seats from a scalper. Despite health issues with three of the four band members -- Berry had an aneurism prior to that show, Mike Mills an intestinal adhesion and Michael Stipe a hernia shortly after -- it was a helluva show, with Sonic Youth opening.

Based on these tracks, particularly "All the Best," "Überlin" and "Oh My Heart," if there's a tour, I'm sooo there.

No comments: