Monday, July 05, 2010

New Blog Thing

Seldom a month goes by without me starting a new blog or web site.

My strategy here is simple:

If I have an idea, I go with it. If it "takes off" -- by which I mean if it returns significant money or attracts significant interest -- I stick with it. If it doesn't "take off," I let it wither on the vine, or look for someone else who might be interested in nurturing it.

When possible, I go with projects that fit into my existing routine.

For example, I spend a good part of each day surfing/blogging material for RRND. There's a category of stories -- I'll just come out and call them what I call them when I see them, "weird shit" -- some of which fit the RRND bill and some of which don't.

Is Elvis still alive? Did the ghost of Howard Hunt blow up the World Trade Center? That thing up there in the sky ... it's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... hmmm, not really sure what it is.

In other words, conspiracy theories, UFO sightings, etc.

Lately I've been thinking two things.

First, I've been thinking that there's an awful lot of that kind of stuff out there.

Secondly, I've been thinking that that even if the people who are interested in that kind of stuff are a niche market, they're probably a significant and dedicated (maybe even obsessed) niche market.

Which means that instead of just walking on past the stories of that type that aren't RRND material, I should probably do something with them (preferably, something that lets me show ads to and sell books and DVDs to that niche market).

And so, without further fanfare, I give you Tinfoil Beanie: All the conspiracy stuff that's fit to link."

No comments: