Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blogger v. WordPress: Case Study Redux

Original post here.

One thing I left out of the original argument was reliability.

I've seen Blogger go down. I've seen it go down for a few minutes. I've seen it go down for as long as an hour or so. It's not perfect. But ...

As of now, the newly self-hosted WordPress blog which got me off on this tangent in the first place has been down for most, if not all, of the last 12 hours ("Safari can’t open the page 'http://theothermccain.com/' because the server where this page is located isn't responding").

Earlier, another self-hosted WordPress blog of which I'm very fond displayed its front page but returned 404s and server errors on article and comment clicks for much of Saturday.

Granted, the main self-hosted WordPress blog I run myself is a rather ramshackle affair (enough customization, baling wire and chewing gum that I'm afraid to upgrade it lest I break it and its database of more than 75,000 posts), so I can't really complain when it goes down ... but I do notice that it has a habit of returning 500 errors for ten minutes or so at the most inopportune times.

Blogger means (almost) never having to say "sorry -- my blog is broken, please come back later."

No comments: