Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My diagnosis ...

... is acute hoplophobia on the part of the "left-wing blogosphere." Not an isolated case, either, but a veritable pandemic -- see here, here, here, here and here (hat tips -- memeorandum).

Who on the "left" isn't squatting and peeing in abject terror over a few people exercising their right to keep and bear arms? Well, apparently President Obama is cool with it. I haven't heard that it's caused him to miss an appearance, or even visibly discommoded him.

Now, maybe that's because he fears a political backlash if he presses the issue, rather than because of his healthy respect for the Second Amendment -- but hey, let's give credit where credit is due anyway. After all, some very prominent figures on the "right" have been known to react very differently in similar situations.

Thoreau over at Unqualified Offerings thinks that packing heat at political events is a bad idea. I disagree -- IMNSHO, there's been far too little open/public carry in recent years. From a "political will" standpoint it gets much easier to suppress a right when that right isn't frequently exercised. I may have to take up the practice myself, but that will mean getting a new gun (the only one I own at the moment is the .22 bolt action rifle I got for my 12th birthday). Interesting comment thread, anyway.

No comments: