Sunday, March 26, 2006

FYI

Yes, I know I've been slacking on the bloggage. Sorry about that. It will get back to its usual frequency Real Soon Now, election season notwithstanding. This is just a "drop-in" on a notion that I think needs to be addressed (i.e. squashed) in a timely manner.

I've written a little bit about "serious" candidates lately. After seeing my name included in an informal poll circulating around the libertarian movement, I want to make clear what should be clear already: I am not a "serious" candidate. As a matter of fact, I'm not a candidate at all. To be more specific:

I am not a candidate for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination.

I am not going to be a candidate for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination.

Please notice the periods appended to the ends of the previous sentences.

Let me also clarify my purpose in making this statement.

I'm not making it for the purpose of releasing prospective supporters from any commitment. So far as I know, I don't have any prospective supporters to release.

I'm making it for the sake of my own reputation.

I'd have to be some truly towering combination of stupid and insane to believe that I was a viable candidate for, or had a shot at, the LP's presidential nomination, or at the presidency.

To the extent that fellow libertarians might see my name included in the aforementioned poll, it would be reasonable for them to assume that I was included for a reason, i.e. that I'd expressed some interest or intention with respect to a 2008 presidential candidacy. I haven't, and I won't.

No comments: