Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Roundup

Who knew (who)?

It seems that George did know Jack. And that Harry knew Jack, too. Washington seems to be turning into friggin' Knew Jack City.

I guess I need to take Jim Cannon out for dinner -- he can have the prime rib, I'll dig into the crow.


Can I just get a scooter and the change?

Don't believe that the Era of Big Government Being Over is over? Read it and weep. Hat tip -- Balko.


It's a bird ... it's a plane ...

... it's another tall Texas tale ... maybe. The Agonist's Sean Paul thought so, but is trying to keep an open mind.

The bottom line for me is that even if the story is true, it has no bearing on whether or not the warrantless wiretapping Bush is defending with it is legal. It isn't. Period. If anything, the story points up Bush's failure on the national security front: If such a plot existed, and if it was foiled without, instead of with, the required warrants (which are almost never denied and which can be procured retroactively if there's not time to apply for them beforehand), then accessories to that plot may very well avoid conviction when and if they are apprehended and prosecuted. Terrorists, or those who aid and abet terrorists, may walk free because Bush didn't want to follow the rules.

In other words, as I've said before: Bush is willing to put his ahistorical, extra-constitutional assertions of executive power before the national security.


No-knock, knock

It's not just Cory Maye. If you've ever looked up and found yourself surrounded by a SWAT team (yes, I have), consider yourself lucky to be alive and reading this. Angelica asks why this keeps happening, and the answer is simple: Because we keep allowing it to.

Side note, while I'm talking to Angelica: Why'd you have to go and break my heart?


Scooter squeals ...

Making it that much more likely that some other little piggies are gonna get stuck.

Wonder how many headlines I can work the word "scooter" into today?


Yeah -- what he said

Steve Gordon has a few words to say about Badnarik's big brass balls. I concur.

--
Technorati Tags: , , ,
IceRocket Tags: , , ,

No comments: